Saturday, November 02, 2013

NaNo Day 2

Here's Day 2 of my NaNoWriMo novel. Again I'm disabling comments on these entries. Don't get me wrong, I love feedback and comments, in this case though they would only serve to distract me and cause me to second guess myself.  Finally, this novel is of course Copyright © 2012 Steven Lake & Engen Books. Word Count today: 882

I got side lined last night with a killer migraine and tried desperately to at least get to 1000 words, I'm still happy with the effort. Just means I have to put in more work tonight.
Let’s see here now, suit, hat, shoes, it’s all coming together. You should look like a million bucks and chances are you’ll spend that and more as time goes by and your schemes generate more money, or you buy a clothing store and use it as a front. Have to make a note of that idea for myself as well. Don’t know why I didn’t think of that earlier, oh well, it’s never too late to think of a good idea! Now, the last think that you need is a decent coat. It’s not just the so called “good guys” who get these. A long, preferably black, trench coat completes the look. Black is a slimming colour and always looks good, especially a black trench coat over a good suit. Also, it helps for ducking into the shadows when you need to make an escape and the trailing cape like effect that happens when you run can be used as a lure when you’re leading someone into a trap. You get far enough ahead that all the person chasing you sees is the trailing edge of that coat disappearing around a corner. They keep following and then WHAM… they run right into whatever you have planned. All because they followed that damn fine coat!

The Laugh: It’s About Standards

You might think this is an unimportant, even minor detail A lot of people think that. “What’s the big deal?” you’re thinking. “I know how to laugh.” you’re saying. While that’s true, we all know how to laugh but we all laugh differently. I’m talking about THE laugh. That over the top, borderline maniacal laugh that lets people know that you might not be completely stable. We all are, completely stable I mean, no issues here. But it helps to keep people off balance if they think we’re not playing with a full deck, keeps ‘em all guessing.
Now regardless of how good you think you might be at it, you will need to work at it. Hire a vocal coach, they can help you train your diaphragm. Also you want to watch any movie you can find with an over the top bad guy, they ham it up for the cameras and that’s exactly what you’re going for. None of us, myself included, would be where we are today without a good, convincing, maniacal, laugh. You’ll be drummed out of the annual Super Villains convention without a convincing laugh. That’s just the way it is.

Big Plans: Today the Earth, Tomorrow the Moon!

Alright now we’re getting into the meat of the deal, the goals, the fulfillment of our hopes and dreams. The Plans! Aim High! Dream Big! Demand the biggest piece of that pie we call life. No one is going to just give it away, you’ve got to reach out and take what’s yours. If that happens to be the world, so be it! Why should pesky things like governments and world leaders get in your way? They shouldn’t, simple as that. So how are you going to do it? That’s the big question isn’t it? How do you put that plan into motion? What is that plan anyway? How do you develop the original idea? What is step one? What’s with all these questions?

Believe it or not, step one is to take a step back. Yes you’ve got the big idea, total world domination, we all want that. But getting there can take some time. The best way to start is to start small. Hell start with something beneficial if you can, that way the people will accept you, let their guards down and make things easier for you when you finally take over. They’ll never expect it from a friend after all.

For example, I started with a simple idea for a weather control machine and that led me to raising the capital for my first bunker. How? Simple planning. See the first weather machine was a dud, didn’t work at all. I made it out of an old clothes dryer, three blenders and a lot of blinking lights. But people wanted to believe it would work and I played on those wants, saying that I needed money for improvements. When a huge, unexpected storm knocked out power and services, I got a scientist friend to write me some technobabble to placate the masses, then I looted the town and sold those suckers back their own goods! From food to gasoline, they needed it and I sold it. See, one simple idea ended in a mountain of profit.

Eventually that same science guy did get a weather control machine working, just not as originally advertised. I can indeed control the weather. I can make any variety of storm over any location, anytime that I want. The profits from looting afterwards have let me construct a massive underground bunker, hire a staff of eggheads and bodyguards, a harem and because the people think I’m such a swell guy, a steady stream of volunteer test subjects! Now you see why I’ve been able to put the world under my thumb on two occasions, By starting small, having the right idea and exploiting human weaknesses like hope, faith and the desire for a better world, you too can reach your goal