Monday, October 22, 2012

I have a doppelganger...

There is a theory that everyone has a twin somewhere in the world, a doppelganger if you will. Someone who walks, talks and sounds just like you. Now for most, this person could be anywhere in the world, after all it's a pretty big place and there is room enough on the planet for two people to look alike, take twins for example. But this isn't a theory about twins, this is a completely different person who looks just like you. In my case it seems, this double is walking around St. John's.

I've been told before that I look similar to people or I get "You look familiar somehow." I think everyone gets that from time to time. But I've also gotten; "Do you work at (business)?" and "I saw you downtown with (people I've never heard of.)

Apparently, somewhere in this city there is a guy who looks and sounds close enough to me for us to get mistaken for each other on a fairly regular basis. I hear it at different times, my doppelganger has worked in a hotel (I currently do but it's a different hotel), has worked in a bar, has gone to university (I never went to MUN) and has been in trouble with the law (clean record for me thanks.)

Believe it or not it extends beyond that. There's also a time traveling version of myself, right down to the goatee and habit of wearing a fedora. He shows up at a friends place of work every few months and orders a sandwich. She swears it's me from about thirty years from now and I must be down on  my luck because I own a better looking fedora now. I figure that time traveling me has spent most of his money on the time machine and doesn't have the cash for a new one, or it's one of my favourites that I just haven't been able to part with yet.. or is that will spend all of his money on a time machine and won't have the money for a new one, and will be one of my favourites that I won't have been able to part with by then... I hate temporal mechanics.

I have to remind her to take a picture of time traveling me the next time I visit her shop so I can see myself. She's already told me that I'm not allowed, under any circumstances, to show up and meet myself. I'm forbidden from causing that paradox.

It's not like I'd actually do that...

Well I'd show up, but I wouldn't hug me or anything...

I wouldn't even shake my own hand...

I'd wave...

Later

Steve

No comments: