Thursday, November 01, 2012

It has begun

So I've started off my NaNoWriMo and I've hit the daily word target, but it was easily done because I'm working with some preexisting material right now. As I've said before, I've been working on a novel for about 3 years now so I do have a little, and I mean a very little, bit written that I'm drawing on as a springboard to get me started. That material is going to run out fast though, given that the word count is 1667 words a day and I didn't have a lot to start with.
The real challenge is going to me making myself press on and keep writing for the entire month, to push past any blocks that I perceive or put in place for myself. Gotta sit and force myself to write, not only that but to focus on the story at hand. I've also got to just let go and let the story develop and take me where it will and not go back over every sentence to judge it and want to edit it (yes my inner editor is THAT anal retentive that he analyzes every sentence that I've written.

One thought I've had to try and work as a kick in the butt, is to make an entry here every day of what I have written. That will let track better what I have written, instead of just looking at a file in MS Word or Google Docs (yes I have it backed up online as well as on an external drive) and it would also make things easier for people to follow along with my work as opposed to just reading my updated word count on the NaNoWriMo page.

On the other hand, it will also put what I'm writing out there to be read ahead of time and honestly, I'm not sure I want that. I mean the goal I have beyond the contest is to get the book published and posting it free online for anyone to read, even a piece at a time is going to defeat that purpose. Also, people will be free to judge and comment on the posts that I make and I don't want to have that happen either because reading feedback will cause me to go back and second guess what I've written. Like I said, I'm trying to defeat my inner editor and I don't want causes to second guess myself.

Dammed if I do and Dammed if I don't (at least I think that's right)

Later

Steve

No comments: