Sunday, September 30, 2012

Weekend Geekery Part Deux

Well I'm still in the city of Corner Brook for Day 2 of Atlanti-CON. Yesterday was amazing, I already said how great it was to catch up with friends but I can't fully convey the epicness of it all. The organizers really outdid themselves with this and they should all be very proud of what they have accomplished.
Three highlights of the day;

1) My geek trivia contest. This always goes over well, whether I do it at Sci-Fi On The Rock, or in Marystown or here in Corner Brook. This time however I had Darren and Justin playing for the first time, they don't normally get to play when we're in St. John's because they are on the committee and that's just not fair to the public who want to play.  They learned that it's one thing to sit in the audience and answer when there's nothing at stake, and quite another thing to be sitting in the chairs with the pressure of having to come up with an answer quickly. Our friend Jenna won and it was a great game and I can't wait for April to do it all again.

2) Fat Apollo and Jeff Keeping hosting "Two Fat Geeks" This was incredible. That's an understatement, there are hardly any words to describe the awesome that was that panel. Audience participation, bad jokes, sarcasm, no holds barred and nothing sacred. This was an unbelievable hour with two very entertaining guys just shooting the shit and having a blast.

3) The Dance. Now anyone that knows me, knows I like to get my drink on, and I did that in spades last night. Then something that hasn't happened in years happened, I let the music take me and I felt the beat from my head to my feet and I got back on that dance floor and danced like there was no tomorrow. I mean I haven't done that in at least 10 years or more. Apparently I sill got it, I surprised and impressed a hell of a lot of people, not the least of which was my own surprise this morning when I got up and found I wasn't one bit sore from it all.

3a) This still counts as the third thing cause it's an extension of the dance. Once the music stopped we all headed to a pizza joint called Louis Gee's here in Corner Brook and we found Shwarma! I'm a nerd, I embrace that daily and any self respecting nerd knows about the joke at the end of the Avengers movie where they all go out for Shwarma after saving the world. Well seeing it on the menu I couldn't pass it up. It's a wrap with Chicken cooked in some fashion, smothered in a sweet garlic sauce and it is fan-fucking-tastic. I had a double order, it was unreal how good this stuff is. I have to find some when I get back to St. John's or find a way to order take-out cross province.

That's it for now, back to the geekery!

Later

Steve

No comments: