Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mid Week Booze

I rarely drink during the week, well unless there's a holiday, or I'm off, or there's some occasion, or friends get together, or we're celebrating the fact that it's (insert weekday here).
As I've said, I work overnights and this week my two days off happened to fall on Tuesday night and Wednesday night. A friend asked if I'd like to stop over for a couple of drinks and by virtue of some twisting of my rubber arm, I agreed.


I picked up a 26er of Rum, my standard fare, this time a local brand called Iceberg Rum. I've never tried it to this point, but I'm an old rum drinker by nature, White, Amber, Dark, Spiced, I've tried them all.  The usual is just Lamb's Amber, but I'll change up to Cabot Tower or Screech easily enough, and I've got to have Bacardi White and Eggnog at Christmas.

I started in about 10:30pm and my first drink I have to say wasn't the best.  The Rum flavour was almost too sweet, though that could have been a combination of the flavours of the Rum and the cola I mix with.  The second was better and the third drink was very smooth.  I was settling in for a good night and holding an easy pace.

and then I hit the wall...

I was drunk. Not tipsy, not buzzed, drunk. Staying upright by force of will alone. From THREE DRINKS!

This doesn't happen, this never happens. I've been drinking for a long time, 17 years in fact, and I can hold my booze. Nights I go drinking I routinely polish off a 26er and walk away, I get a good buzz on the got but not until the bottle is done. I can walk, I can talk, I even have friends who swear that they haven't seen me drunk even at that stage.  I'm not trying to brag, I'm just establishing my credentials and stating fact.

I've also had those rare, magical nights where I can keep drinking past the point of ridiculous and I just can't get drunk.  "Superman Nights" a friend called those moments, they happen maybe one night out of a thousand and they are to be cherished.

But three drinks?  Not even 1/4 of the bottle gone and I could barely stand.  Had to stop, get some water and get myself seated or lying down.  I just don't get it.  I was told to enjoy it, that the upside is I'll have more booze next time I go drinking, but this just pisses me off.  I want to know what happened, I want to know how this took place.

Sad thing is, I don't think I'll find any rhyme or reason for it.  I ate during the day, I had nachos and a smoked brisket sandwich about an hour before I started drinking, so there was a good base there for the alcohol to sit on.  It's not like I went into it with an empty stomach.  It's not a pace that I'm not used to either, three drinks over an hour and a half isn't too fast, at least it never has been.  Only a week prior I downed a 26er of Cuban Rum and still only had a good buzz and a warm glow going.  I only stopped cause I ran out of Rum, and the sun came up. I just don't get it.

There's only one solution that I can see, I must experiment! That can mean only one thing...

MORE BOOZE!

Later

Steve

No comments: